Thursday, November 24, 2016

Thanksgiving (s)

First, Happy Thanksgiving to all!  It's just a "normal" day here in Rome - although we do have a break from classes - they know that the Americans simply don't show up today.  I went to be with the American priests living here in Rome for Mass and Thanksgiving dinner.

Boy - it was the best bird I've ever seen!



But there have been a lot of thanksgivings these past few days.  Thanksgivings to God for all His goodness to us - and in particular for the example and witness of the Saints.

One of the things that a good friend of mine said was, "The day that living in Rome becomes nothing special is the day you need to come home."  And there is a saying here that goes something like, "Don't let your education get in the way of your life in Rome."

I've been trying to make sure that I take advantage of every blessed opportunity while being here in Rome - and this Blog is a means of sharing those opportunities with you.  I sometimes am concerned that it's more pride or "look what I got to do" - and I do NOT want it to be that.  Rather, I desire to share with you my experiences and blessings - hoping that you can experience them along with me.

One of the ways I'm trying to be mindful of living in Rome is to make a little pilgrimage to the relics of saints on their feast day.  This week, I did that twice: Tuesday the Church remembered Saint Cecilia - and Wednesday Saint Clement.  So I visited both their churches this week.

Tuesday, St. Cecilia, was my long day at school (till 4:30pm).  I had discovered that the Basilica of St. Cecilia is in Trastevere - which is a neighborhood not too far from where I live - and that the remains of St. Cecilia are buried there.

Here is a video telling the story of St. Cecilia:


I also learned that they were having Vespers at the Church - so after school I jumped on the tram and went to the Basilica of St. Cecilia in Trastevere.
This is the Basilica in Trastevere
This is the very famous image of her beneath the main altar
Just to prove I was here...
The Sanctuary
The actual tomb of St. Cecilia in the crypt beneath the high altar.
Then on Wednesday the Church remember St. Clement I, Pope.  His remains are also here in Rome in one of the oldest sections of the old city.  In fact, many traditions say that the basilica that houses his relics is built upon his house.  Regardless of that fact (or fiction), the basilica is incredibly old - built on top of an oder basilica which itself was built on top of Roman ruins.  Here's a LINK to a fascinating video about the Basilica of San Clemente.  The video is on the basilica's official website - so there's not way to actually embed it here.
And you are not allowed to take pictures inside the Basilica - so here are a few I found online - and a selfie - again to prove I was actually there.



This morning there was a 5-K run up at the NAC (North American College).  Had a good time - 27:50 (but we didn't have chips in our numbers, so I'm sure I ran faster than that).  It was a good morning.  I like what they put on their shirts:







No comments:

Post a Comment